Need your alimony order adjusted? A family law attorney can help

Post-divorce finances can be a bear to figure out. For a lot of people in Missouri, the dissolution of marriage comes with a big drop in income and an increase in expenses. Thankfully, an alimony order can be included in a divorce settlement for the spouse who is in financial need. What if after all is said and done, you, as the recipient, need your alimony adjusted or extended? A family law attorney may be able to help you with that.

Spousal maintenance is not awarded in every divorce settlement, as economic situations vary. If it was awarded to you, it means that you met all the necessary requirements and/or a financial need was determined. Alimony is typically awarded for a set period of time. It will be up to a judge to decide if lifetime support is warranted.

It is not any easy task to get a maintenance order adjusted, but if you have experienced a change in circumstances it may be possible — unless the order was deemed non modifiable. In order to seek a modification, you will need to file the appropriate request in court, and on that request you will be required to supply your reason for needing the change. To learn more about the process of filing a modification request, please take a moment and visit our firm’s website.

Quite a few alimony recipients in Missouri may actually qualify for support modifications, but they may be unaware that this is even an option. The only way to know if you qualify is to ask. An experienced family law attorney can review the specifics of your situation and, if appropriate, help you file the necessary adjustment request in court.

recent post